Review: Torment by Lauren Kate

Torment
Author: Lauren Kate
Series: Fallen, #2
Synopsis (goodreads): Hell on earth.

That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.


It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.

What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.

Review

What I'm thinking after I finished this book: Oh. My. God. So many emotions right now!! All the events at the end of this book just happened so fast, I'm still trying to wrap my head around it all.

The book itself started off a bit slow for me. I couldn't really get into the first few chapters. But after that the pace quickened and by the end of the book my heart was racing. I loved the new characters that were brought in. There was one that I really loved, but I don't want to give too much away but as of right now I'm definitely liking him more than a certain other person that I should be rooting for, but we won't get into that right now! My mind may change after I read Passion.

There's a bit for foreshadowing in this book, and I knew something was up with it right off the bat. I knew that if they didn't figure it out it was going to come back to haunt them, and it turns out I was right. I really don't see why none of them figured it out. I certainly would have, had I been in that situation. I mean, come on! Angels who have been living for thousands and thousands of years not recognizing something that's also been around for that long?? Just doesn't seem like they would've overlooked it. But it made things very interesting at the end, and I suppose the event would've had to happen for the way Lauren wanted to book to turn out in the end so I'm not too upset about it. I just feel like the characters should have noticed something not right about it.

There were times that Luce made me angry, like when she would continuous put herself in danger. Over. And over. And over. When every time, something would happen to remind her why she needed to keep a low profile, she still refused to. Even if she was frustrated and annoyed at the lack of information she seemed to receive as to what was going on and why things were happening or why she couldn't do something. It's understandable that she would want to rebel, but after the first time something strange happened when she didn't listen, if she were smart, she would have stayed put.

Anyways, this book really proves that not everything is as black-and-white as everyone makes it out to be and that it's best to get the story from both sides before deciding either way. Lauren really showed that the fallen angels really were "two sides of the same coin". I really liked that she showed the good side of the people that were considered to be "bad" and the bad side of the people considered to be "good".

This book was simply amazing. I just couldn't get enough.


I rate this book:



Comments