Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Series: Mara Dyer, #1
Synopsis (goodreads):
Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.


Review

This book is insane. Literally. As soon as you begin reading, you're thrown into a pretty scary scene involving a Ouji board, and the next thing you know, Mara is waking up in a hospital without knowing what happened or how she got there. Her best friends end up dead, and she ends up with PTSD and has hallucinations. And most the time, as the reader, you can barely decipher between what is in her head and what is really happening. I was completely and utterly confused throughout almost this entire book, not knowing what was happening to her or why and it kept me wanting more. I couldn't put this book down. It was read in almost one sitting. The scary part for me was how she kept seeing her friends faces in the mirror, hearing their voices and laughter, and people (among other things) kept turning up dead. I was scared for her.

And as always, there is a love interest in this book as well: the lovely, gorgeous, smart, talented, bad boy Noah Shaw. I do believe that if there was ever a character I would want to come to life, it would be him. Yes, I know that I read a lot of paranormal books and I could choose between the fey, werewolves, vampires, angels, Shadowhunters, etc., but Noah Shaw is definitely the one I would choose. He's perfect.

And this book is perfect. The writing, the plot, the characters, everything. I've seen bad reviews about this book (which made me a bit scared to read it because my hopes were so high) but in my opinion, this book is absolutely amazing and it's instantly become one of my favorites. I'm excited to say that I was not in the least disappointed by this book. It's magnificent, with an insane cliffhanger. I kind of saw it coming though (there's the smallest hint of foreshadowing), but I wasn't entirely expecting it to happen because the realization that it had even crossed my mind didn't hit until it happened. It's going to make the next book all the more interesting. I'm dying to know what's going to happen with that being brought into the plot, and I'm also wanting to know what will happen with Noah and Mara after what she did at the end. And I'm wondering if one of the characters will come back into the picture or if Anna and Aiden will get what's coming to them. I  guess we'll have to wait and see! Untill then...



I rate this book:



Comments