Days of TwentyEleven: Day 1

hosted by inkcrush

I'm a day late on this, as I'm just now finding out about it, so I will be doing two posts to make up for it.


Favorite book read in 2011:

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

This book was just absolutely break-taking and incredibly fast paced. There were so many twists and turns in it; things that were completely unexpected, and it kept you wanting more to the very last page. As soon as it was over, I wanted the next book in my hands. Unfortunately, it isn't out yet, but you better believe I'll have it as soon as it is.



Most Powerful Book:


Out of all the books I have read this year, this one definitely hit me the hardest. There is such a powerful message in it, and it made me think about our world and war and how very easily our lives could turn into something quite similar to how the citizens in the Districts of Panem live. It was definitely the most powerful book for me.




Brilliantly Funny:


As are all of Cassandra Clare's books, City of Bones is filled with tones of snarky, sarcastic humor. Many of her characters keep their sense of humor even during the worst and most dangerous situations, always trying to shed some light on the positions they get themselves into and I love that about this book. Need an example?

“Is this the part where you start tearing off strips of your shirt to bind my wounds?"
"If you wanted me to rip my clothes off, you should have just asked.” 

and
“You guessed? You must have been pretty sure, considering you could have killed me."
"I was ninety percent sure."
"I see," Clary said. There must have been something in her voice, because he turned to look at her. Her hand cracked across his face, a slap that rocked him back on his heels. He put his hands on his cheek, more in surprise than pain.
"What the hell was that for?"
"The other ten percent.” 

 Best ache-y, heart-breaking, tear-jerker read:


I think I cried the most during Mockingjay out of all the books I read in 2011. There was so much death and despair in this book that you couldn't NOT cry while reading it. The worst scene for me was when Katniss starts yelling at the cat and then they mourn together. That was it for me. The tears that were threatening for spill over started pouring down my cheeks. It was heart-wrenching.




Most beautiful story:


This book was the most amazingly beautiful, and I think the reason for that is because it is the true story of a little boy, who was so sick that he was close to death and visited Heaven during the surgery to save his life. A little boy who made a truly amazing recovery, that the doctors didn't even know for sure would happen. I don't know your religion or anything and some of you may not believe this story, and that's fine. You have a right to your own thoughts and opinions, but I believe this is such a wonderful story, and even if you don't believe, you can't deny the beauty of it.


Delicious rainy day comfort read:


This is a wonderful historical fiction book based on the lives of artists Berthe Morisot and Edouard Manet. The people in this book are very real; the story, however, is only that of the authors imagination, but in her research and findings believes that it is very possible that a love affair between the two did indeed happen.





Adrenaline-fueled, unputdownable award:


I believe this book speaks for itself. The Shadowhunters are in Idris and if you've read the book, I definitely don't have to tell you all the things that went on while they were there. Crazy adrenaline-rushing, heart-wrenching, shock-factoring, fear-inducing... I think that's all that needs to be said.





I-So-Want-To-Go-There-Now Award


Yes, yet another Cassandra Clare novel! I was debating between this and the world of the Iron Fey, but I realized if I were to go to the Nevernever, I would be dead within two seconds, because I am not fey or half-fey so my choice was then very clear. I would love to see London in 1878. Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong time period because this is one of my favorite settings. Plus, who could possibly give up a chance to meet William Herondale and James Carstairs??! Not me.



Most atmospheric and vivid setting:


It is this category that also made my decision for the above. Julie's world of the Nevernever is one of the most vivid settings I have ever read about. I can imagine everything so perfectly, and in The Iron Knight she takes that world to a whole new level. At times, I really just wanted to jump into the pages. It was all so unreal. The creatures within the world are so deceptive and conniving, yet the scenery is brilliant and beautiful and I would love to see it with my own eyes. Although, technically, if the Faery world really was real, I would either go crazy from being there for too long, or I would be killed right off the bat.

I-had-no-idea-I-would-love-this-so award:


After reading, Something Borrowed, I was left with a feeling of, not so much hatred, but a very strong dislike for one of the characters. When I found out that said character was the protagonist in Something Blue, I wasn't sure if I wanted to read it. What I wanted was to read more about the main character of the first. However, I wanted to learn if the characters ever reconciled and the only way to get the answer to that was to read the next. So that is what I did. And I was very happy with that decision. This book was as amazing as the one before it and I actually grew to love the character I severely disliked at the beginning. It was definitely worth reading.


Most haunting story:


The most haunting story I have read in 2011 has to be Clockwork Prince. The depth of emotion in this book is incredible. The events that have surrounded these characters to make them the way they are truly is haunting. Everyone one of the characters in this story has a past, and we find that out in Clockwork Prince. Some of these events are complete and utter agony, I must admit. But it's that agony that makes us want more.




Series that I'm loving:



I haven't read all of this series yet; right now I'm reading Spirit Bound so I'm quite close to the ending. This series has definitely drawn me in. I love the story and the turn that it's taken (at least where I'm at right now anyways!) so I definitely can't wait to finish it.



I'm not sure I have to elaborate much on why I absolutely love this series. I love the sarcasm, the wit, the sexy men, and everything that comes with these amazing characters. The story is mesmerizing, and the world Cassie created draws you in so quickly and keeps a firm hold on you. So much so that you never want to let go.

Always recommending this book award:


The world Lauren has created in the Fallen series is riveting. This was my first series about fallen angels and it made me want to continue reading books about them, fallen or not. The story opens with Luce showing up at a reform school called Sword & Cross. What she doesn't know is that the love of her life is waiting for her there. And let me tell you, it's impossible not to fall in love with him.




Would make the best movie:


It's no secret that I absolutely love and adore the Iron Fey series, so shouldn't it also be just as obvious that I would want there to be movies to it?? Yes, of course! The world of the fey would look magnificent on the big screen! Now why isn't it a movie already???





Want to re-read already:


With all the hype surrounding the soon to be movie The Hunger Games and seeing all the fabulous movie stills and trailers for it, I'm dying to reread this lovely series. But of course that isn't the only reason. The books are amazing, and after reading them once, it's impossible not to want to read them again. They pull you in like nothing else and rip your heart out in both bad and good ways. They make you think and want to make the world a better place so that it doesn't turn into Panem.

Book That's Got Me Tangling the Sheets Pining for the Sequel:

The ending of this book killed me. It was probably one of the biggest cliffhangers I've ever been left on and I'm still dying for the sequel.


What are your favorite books you've read this year??

Comments