Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince
Author: Cassandra Clare
Series: Clockwork Angel, #2
Synopsis (goodreads): In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart.

Review 

I've been putting off writing this review for a few days. It's taken me this long to really gather my thoughts about the book. So many emotions by the end that I just didn't think I could sit down and write a review that made any sense!

I've read several reviews and I've been seeing a lot of people stating that Clockwork Prince is Cassandra Clare's best work so far. And I have to say that I completely agree with them. One hundred percent. This book was fabulous. One of my favorite things about it is how she told the story from several different points of view. There is so much love and action in this book and it is all woven together so neatly and magnificently.
I do have to comment on the love triangle. I would have to say that this is one of the best love triangles I have seen to date. It's not very often you find a story with a love triangle involving two guys who are best friends. Not only that but are parabatai, which is basically blood by Shadowhunter standards. Will and Jem are so close that nothing could tear them apart. They are sworn to protect each other. Not only that, but they rely on each other for more than protection from physical harm, but they are each others rock. One cannot survive without they other. Enter Tessa. A girl that has them both falling over their own feet, yet neither knows how the other feels about her. 

I must say I never expected the ending to happen as it did. It was heart-wrenching, yet heartwarming at the same time. I just didn't know what to think of it. My heart broke for them all. I wanted to jump into the pages, hug each of them and tell them that everything was going to be alright. Unfortunately, I don't know that. Jem is slowly dying because of the yin fen, but he must rely on it for his survival. By the end of the book, he's looking better and even acting better, but it is still killing him slowly. And if/when he dies, I'm going to bawl my bloody eyes out. I don't want any of them to die. Especially sweet, kind, wonderful, perfect Jem.  

I also have to mention that I loved the introduction of Gideon Lightwood, and I can't wait to see what the presence of him in their lives does for the story and character development. I'm also looking  forward to learning about Tessa; who she is, where she came from, how far her unique powers  can go in helping to rid the world of Mortmain and just how far Mortmain will go to get rid of the Shadowhunters and to get Tessa to marry him. I'm most curious, though, as to how the love triangle is going to pan out. If you want to know, I'm rooting for Jem. He's definitely my favorite of the two, but I do love Will as well. It's a very difficult choice to make, because they are both such wonderful characters. Usually with love triangles, the right choice is clear. But with Will and Jem?? It's almost impossible to make a decision as to who should end up with the girl. I guess we'll have to wait until Clockwork Princess to find out!

I rate this book:


Also, I saw this on a review on goodreads and I just had to put it on here with my review. This is almost exactly how I imagined these characters to look.


Comments