Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux, #1
Blurb: Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

Review

I have to say that for my first book about aliens, I couldn't have chose better than Obsidian.

Short Summary:

Katy Swartz just moved to very small town in West Virginia, thinking her life is over, until she meets her neighbors Dee and Daemon Black, who are her age. She strikes up a friendship with Dee and Dee orchestrates a plan to get Katy and Daemon to spend some time together. But there's just one problem: Daemon is perfect... until he opens his mouth. Daemon is the most infuriating guy Katy has ever met. He's incredibly arrogant, rude, self-centered, and all Katy wants to do when she's around him is smack the ever-living crap out of him. But then she learns his secret, and Dee's, and everything turns to chaos. She's keeping secrets from all her new friends and her own mother. She's running from aliens that want her and her new friends dead, and if they don't find them first, it will all be over before it even begins.

What I liked:

I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of Obsidian. This is my very first book about aliens and I couldn't have picked a better book to start off reading this type of paranormal creature. And these aren't your usual bug-like aliens who have tentacles out the wazoo all over their body or the E.T. kind of alien or the alien that takes over your body. These aliens, which I found very fascinating, are made purely out of light, and can bend it in any way they want. It's a great concept that I loved. Another thing I enjoyed is the banter between Katy and Daemon. They were constantly arguing and trying to one-up each other with witty comments. The sexual tension between them was driving me crazy and I often found myself thinking "Just DO IT already!" But for some reason they only continued to fight their feelings for each other even when they weren't actually fighting their feelings for each other which I couldn't understand.

What I didn't like:

I actually can't think of anything that I didn't like... it was very good. If there is anything that I didn't really like, it's how the aliens in their little group hated Katy just because she was human. I understood that whenever they got close to a human something always went wrong, but even after Katy proved herself to them they still fought to keep Dee and Daemon away from her. I just couldn't understand it.

Conclusion:

If you're looking for a paranormal read that has aliens, action, humor and a romance that will keep you guessing and rooting for them the whole way through then this book is one you definitely want to pick up.


I rate this book:

The Lux Series


Novella



Spoiler Time
This section is for me to freely discuss things within the book without spoiling the book in the review for those who haven't read it. If you have read Obsidian, please continue. If you haven't, I suggest skipping this!!


Favorite Quotes: "Honey, I might be old, but my eyes are still working fine. And they were really working earlier."

"I'd always avoided confrontation in the past, but this guy was flipping my bitch switch like nothing else."

"'I hate you,' I hissed.
'The feelings mutual.' He glanced over his shoulder. 'Twenty bucks you wear a one-piece swimsuit.'
He was insufferable."

"'I've always found that the most beautiful people, truly beautiful inside and out, are the ones who are quietly unaware of their effect.' His eyes searched mine intently, and for a moment we stood there toe to toe. 'The ones who throw their beauty around, waste what they have? Their beauty is only passing. It's just a shell hiding nothing but shadows and emptiness.'"

"'You're not taking me out in the woods because you changed your mind and decided your secret is not safe with me, are you?'
Daemon busted out laughing. 'You're very paranoid.'
I snorted. 'Okay, that is coming from an alien who apparently can toss me into the sky without touching me.'
'You haven't locked yourself in any rooms or rocked in any corners, right?'
I rolled my eyes and began walking again. 'No Daemon, but thanks for making sure I'm mentally sound and all.'"

"'Remind me'" he paused, drawing in a stuttered gasp, 'to never piss you off again. Christ, are you secretly a ninja?'"

"My palms itched to have a close encounter of the bitch-slap kind with his face. 'I dislike you so very much.'
'No. You don't.'"


Comments