30 Day Book Challenge: DAY 2

Welcome to DAY 2 of the 30 Day Book Challenge!! Today's topic is really exciting for me. We don't often talk about these characters but they are always present in literature.

Favorite Side Character:

Grimalkin
(Julie Kagawa's own interpretation of Grim)

If you don't know who this lovely cat is, then you're missing out. Not just on the character, but on an amazing series by one of my favorite authors Julie Kagawa: The Iron Fey. Grimalkin is a cait sith, who has a tongue of wit and sarcasm.

“Lead the way,” he said, nodding into the darkness. “We’ll be right behind you.”

“For the record,” Grimalkin stated as we ventured, single file, into the black, “I do not think this is a good idea. But, as no one listens to the cat anymore, I will have to wait until we are completely lost to say ‘I told you so.”



If you happen to be following him across the Nevernever, you certainly want to keep up for he doesn't care to leave you behind. And you'll know when a situation has turned bad because he will have completely disappeared from sight. 
“Looks like nobody’s home,” Puck said, turning in a slow circle. “Hellooooooooo? Anybody here?”

“Be quiet, Goodfellow,” Ash growled, peering into the shadows with narrowed eyes. “We’re not alone.”

“Yeah? How do you figure that, prince? I don’t see anyone.”

“The cait sith has disappeared.”

“ … Crap.”

He is certainly amusing and finds entertainment in knowing things that you do not. He will make comments pertaining to that knowledge, yet refuses to tell you directly what he means. 

“Grimalkin sighed loudly, causing me to look back and Razor to hiss at him. “Am I the only one here who has any insight at all?” he said, looking to each of our faces. We stared at him, and he shook his head. “Drawing a blank, are you? Think about what you just said, human. Repeat that last phrase, if you would.”
I frowned. “Isn’t that where you want to be?”
He closed his eyes. “The next phrase, human.”
“With all the other gremlins.” He stared at me expectantly, and I raised my hands. “What? What are you getting at, Grim?”
Grimalkin thumped his tail. “It is times like these I am ever more grateful that I am a cat,” he sighed. “Why do you think I brought you that creature, human? To keep up my stalking skills? I assure you, they are quite adequate already. Please attempt to use the brain I know is hidden somewhere in that head.”

He's also very good at keeping the important parts of information to himself.
"Oh, wonderful." Rudy gave the cat a sour look, grabbing a cloth from below and wiping the countertop. "Look who's here. Back to plague me again, are you? You know that information you traded nearly got me killed?"

"You wanted the location of the giant ruins. I gave it to you. My end of the bargain was upheld."

"I thought they were deserted! You didn't say they were still occupied!"

"You did not ask if they were."

And oh, what a sense of humor he has.
“If you are going to do that, would you mind not jostling the bed so much?' came a sarcastic voice near the head board. 'Perhaps you could roll around on the floor.”

And his most famous quote, which I absolutely love because anytime he ever explains anything about himself, he always explains it with this:


Even though he appears to have no heart, he did take to a certain half-fey,half-human girl. He may have said that it was all in his own favor that he was taking care of her, I truly believe he cared for her well-being. But don't let that fool you. As Julie Kagawa said in her Guide to the Nevernever, "Do not be deceived by the politeness of the fey. Fey are almost always polite. This does not mean they will not happily remove your head."


So.. have I convinced you to read this series yet?? ;)


post signature

Comments