CITY OF BONES Read-Along: Chapter 1

In honor of the movie coming out in theaters on August 21st, I have decided to join the City of Bones Read-Along. If you haven't read this book, now is the perfect opportunity! Especially if you're planning to see the movie. If you would like to join, click here for more info. NOTE: If you haven't read the book, please beware of spoilers in the Read-Along posts. There will be quotes and chapter summaries, as well as my own thoughts on certain events that occur within the story and I don't plan on holding back.


Chapter 1: Pandemonium

Short Summary:

We meet Clary Fray and her best friend Simon Lewis who are at the Pandemonium club in New York City. Clary loves the club for unknown reasons, and her geeky friend Simon tags along with her even though he hates it. It is here that Clary sees the Shadowhunters Jace, Isabelle and Alec, and witness them killing a demon. She is embarrassed when she realizes that she is the only one who can see them. Simon is clearly curious as to what really happened but doesn't press Clary to talk about it as they ride home in a cab.


Quotes:

"Clary wasn't paying much attention to their immediate surroundings--her eyes were on the blue-haired boy who'd talked his way into the club. He was prowling through the crowd as if he were looking for something. There was something about the way he moved that reminded her of something . . ."

"Meanwhile," Simon added, "I wanted to tell you that lately I've been cross-dressing. Also, I'm sleeping with your mom. I thought you should know."


Thoughts:

I think my favorite thing about this chapter is the scene with Clary finding Jace, Isabelle and Alec in the storage closet and thinking they're entirely crazy until she sees them kill the demon and then realizes that Simon and the club bouncer can't see them. Then she starts wondering about her own sanity. I also love the easy friendship between Clary and Simon. Even though the scenes between them are short lived in this chapter, you really get a sense of how close they are.



That's it for this chapter! I'll be back tomorrow with a post on chapter two. :)

Happy Reading!


Comments