Review: The Liar Society by Lisa Roecker and Laura Roecker

The Liar Society
Author: Lisa Roecker and Laura Roecker
Series: The Liar Society, #1
Blurb: Kate Lowry didn't think dead best friends could send e-mails. But when she gets an e-mail from Grace, she’s not so sure.

To: KateLowry@pemberlybrown.edu
Sent: Sun 9/14 11:59 PM
From: GraceLee@pemberlybrown.edu
Subject: (no subject)


Kate,
I'm here…
sort of.
Find Cameron.
He knows.
I shouldn't be writing.
Don't tell.
They'll hurt you.


Now Kate has no choice but to prove once and for all that Grace’s death was more than just a tragic accident. But secrets haunt the halls of her elite private school. Secrets people will do anything to protect. Even if it means getting rid of the girl trying to solve a murder...


As I was browsing the books in the Kindle shop, I happened upon The Liar Society. I decided to read the excerpt because it sounded like the type of book that I could get sucked into and I did, so I bought it. I've heard the book compared to Nancy Drew and Veronica Mars, but I can't really vouch for that because I haven't read Nancy Drew and I haven't watched Veronica Mars. It does however remind me a little bit of Pretty Little Liars. Except with secret societies and only one main character who has been a complete outcast for the past year since Grace's death and who everyone including her parents thinks is crazy. Kate Lowry's the only person who believes that her best friend's death wasn't just some horrible accident and after receiving an email from ghost-Grace, she decides it's time to put that to the test. With each clue Kate becomes more and more confused, yet closer to the truth, discovering that someone will stop at nothing to keep what happened a secret and that they have eyes everywhere, especially on Kate.

Throughout this entire book, Kate is on a mission to find out what really happened to her best friend, no matter the cost to herself, and that includes giving up her own life, often putting herself in incredibly dangerous situations. There were times I was a bit frustrated with her. I mean, getting into a car alone with a drugged-out, possible murderer, bombarding him with questions about her best friends death isn't something a sane person would do, but Kate did it. For most of the book, Kate was on her own, with a little help from her neighbor Seth (who's madly in love with her) and Liam (who Kate starts to fall for). It wasn't until near the end of the book that Seth and Liam figure out what Kate is doing and knowingly begins to help her. By the end, Kate realizes that there are only a few people she can truly trust and count on: Seth and Liam, and possibly a frenemy.

While the book started out a little bit on the crazy-side, completely sucking me in, I felt that a few things were lacking. Some of the mystery was given away just from obvious foreshadow sentences, making me guess a lot of what was happening, except for what actually happened to Grace. It did however give me an idea as to who was in on it. At times it felt like things were happening too quickly and that Kate was too trusting of the person writing the emails. She followed their instructions without even considering that it could possibly be the person who murdered her best friend, or even some kind of sick game, just someone messing with her head.

All in all, it was still a great read, with lots of excitement and even ended on more mystery, pretty much leaving Kate back to square one again (I won't go into any details). While I didn't absolutely LOVE it, I definitely enjoyed it and will be keeping up with this series. If you're looking for a quick read with a little mystery, I definitely recommend The Liar Society.


I rate this book:

The Liar Society Series




Comments