Best I've Read in 2013: Contemporary

So 2013 is coming to a close and I've read some really amazing books this year! I found them so amazing that I want to share them with you so that you may too discover their awesomeness. These aren't necessarily books that came out this year, although some of them are. Today's Best I've Read post is all about Contemporaries.



The Fault in Our Stars

by John Green
Goodreads
Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.
This one brings all the feels. It's heartbreaking, yet uplifting and everything in between. I don't cry very often while reading a book but I definitely did with this one. My Review







Before I Fall

by Lauren Oliver
Goodreads
What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?

Samantha Kingston has it all: looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it turns out to be her last.

The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. Living the last day of her life seven times during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.
I don't even know how to begin to describe my feelings throughout this one. I hated Sam and then I loved her and then I hated her again. And I really just wanted everything to be okay in the end. My Review




Tears of Tess

by Pepper Winters
Goodreads
A New Adult Dark Contemporary Romance, not suitable for people sensitive to grief, slavery, and nonconsensual sex. A story about finding love in the strangest of places, a will of iron that grows from necessity, and forgiveness that may not be enough.

“My life was complete. Happy, content, everything neat and perfect. Then it all changed. I was sold.”

Tess Snow has everything she ever wanted: one more semester before a career in property development, a loving boyfriend, and a future dazzling bright with possibility.

For their two year anniversary, Brax surprises Tess with a romantic trip to Mexico. Sandy beaches, delicious cocktails, and soul-connecting sex set the mood for a wonderful holiday. With a full heart, and looking forward to a passion filled week, Tess is on top of the world.

But lusty paradise is shattered.

Kidnapped. Drugged. Stolen. Tess is forced into a world full of darkness and terror.

Captive and alone with no savior, no lover, no faith, no future, Tess evolves from terrified girl to fierce fighter. But no matter her strength, it can’t save her from the horror of being sold.

Can Brax find Tess before she’s broken and ruined, or will Tess’s new owner change her life forever?
This one is a bit different than the other contemporaries. It's darker, and it's New Adult. And I never expected to enjoy it as much as I did. Seriously. I'm dying for the sequel! My Review




Sometimes Never, Sometimes Always

by Elissa Janine Hoole
Goodreads
Cassandra fears rocking the family boat. Instead, she sinks it. Assigned by her English teacher to write a poem that reveals her true self, Cassandra Randall is stuck. Her family's religion is so overbearing, she can NEVER write about who she truly is. So Cass does what any self-respecting high school girl would do: she secretly begins writing a tarot-inspired advice blog. When Drew Godfrey, an awkward outcast with unwashed hair, writes to her, the situation spirals into what the school calls "a cyberbullying crisis" and what the church calls "sorcery." Cass wants to be the kind of person who sticks up for the persecuted, who protects the victims the way she tries to protect her brother from the homophobes in her church. But what if she's just another bully? What will it take for her to step up and tell the truth?
For the most part, this one brought out a lot of anger in me. Mostly because the characters in this story are extremely judgmental, but also because Cass was so apathetic to everything going on around her. She's very passive and doesn't really do anything until the end. This one brought emotions out of me like no other though and I really liked that about it. My Review

--------------------

So tell me: What contemporaries did you read this year that you loved or rated 5 stars?? Did any of these make your list?


Come back tomorrow for my favorite Fantasy/Paranormal/Science Fiction reads!


Comments