Vampire Academy Read-Along: Chapter 5


Chapter 5

Christian Ozera's parents had been Strigoi. Until some guardians tracked them down and killed them. Rumor has it that Christian had seen the whole thing when he was young and that he isn't far off from becoming one himself. Rose didn't trust him, but she couldn't do anything about Lissa's situation thanks to their one-way bond.

"What are you doing here?"

Christian jokes about taking in the sights and asks about Lissa. They exchange taunting words for a few minutes about pity parties and their perceptions of each other. Lissa tries to leave but Christian stops her by asking what it was like being away from the Academy. Lissa and Rose realize that Christians facade is just that--a facade. It's hard to be himself when people think that know who he is. He admits that he's been coming to the chapel attic for a year now but Lissa claims it at her own since she had been their first--before she left the Academy.

"Squatters' rights. Besides, I have to make sure I stay near the chapel as much as possible to people know I haven't gone Strigoi . . . yet."

Christian's tone is bitter when he says it, and Lissa tries to leave again. He'll let her stay on one condition: she has to tell him if the rumor about the humans giving her blood is true. She blushes and he realizes he was right: Rose had been the one to give Lissa blood, not the humans. He then says "Well. If that's not friendship, I don't know what it is."

Lissa begs him not to tell anyone and he agrees. She sits back down at the window rubbing her arms against the cold, and Christian warms the air with the element of fire.

Rose returns to herself at that moment to find Dimitri standing in front of her with his hands on her shoulders. She explains what happened to her and his concern surprises her. They go into the gym for practice and she begs him to let her rest but he refuses. Dimitri explains how he ended up as Lissa's guardian and what had happened to the last Moroi he was guarding. Rose compliments him on the strategy he used to get her and Lissa back to the Academy which amuses Dimitri. She says it was better than the last time they tried, with the psi-hounds. Dimitri tells her that they didn't use psi-hounds and hadn't found her in Chicago. "Who else could have sent them? They only answer to Moroi."

After practice Rose returns to the novices' dorm (the Moroi and novices are separated to accommodate the lifestyle differents between the two races). Rose signs in to her email to find an email from her mother saying I'm glad you're back. What you did was inexcusable, and then lays down to sleep. She wakes up the next morning feeling worse than the day before but still survives her morning practice with Dimitri. At lunch she talks to Lissa about Christian and being inside her head again. She tells Lissa that if she's going to go after a guy, steal Aaron back--at least it will piss off Mia. 

They go into the science room to find a couple of Moroi tormenting another. She wanted to do something about it but her instincts told her not to mess with them or she'll be kicked out of the Academy. Instead she jokes to lay "off the merchandise" which starts up a conversation about how Rose had started a fight in Ms. Karp's class and how Ms. Karp was completely nuts. Rose remembers one time when she snuck out of her dorm room window and fell to the ground. Ms. Karp saw the whole thing. She smiled at Rose and offered her hand, healing Rose's wounds. "What . . . what did you do?" Ms. Karp ignores her and instead tells her to go back to her dorm because it isn't safe out here, then winks and says "I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me."

While Rose's mind was in the past, Jesse had been telling her about a party hoping she would show. Rose declines the offer based on her "jail-time".

"Can't you ever get off for good behavior?"
"Sure. If I was ever good."

--------------------

So there isn't a WHOLE lot that happens in this chapter but a few things are rather important that can be kind of looked over the first time around, but I don't want to ruin the book for you so I won't point them out to you. You're welcome to guess though! ;)

So what did you think about chapter 5?? I definitely like Christian Ozera. His sarcasm is what drew me in.

Reminder: This is the last chapter for this week! Chapter 6 will be up on Monday :)

Comments

  1. I'm on book 4 now, but you're right, I loved Christian right from the first book, mainly because of his sarcasm and devil-may-care attitude. I'm interested to hear your thoughts about the movie trailer and the actual movie when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really like the movie trailer! I think I'm one of the few people who did lol. I'm hoping the movie is as good as I think it's going to be. The trailer looks like it's got the humor that Richelle Mead had in her writing but I hope that it has the seriousness of it as well.

      Delete
  2. Well, Ms. Karp sounds pretty interesting, and I definitely would like to see more of Christian! It really sucks that he's getting ostracized by everyone for something that his parents did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sounds pretty interesting indeed! And yeah, it does really suck for Christian! It wasn't him that turned Strigoi, it was his parents.

      Delete
  3. Just started reading this (listening to it on audiobook) so I'll make a couple predictions.

    First of all, maybe it's because I'm on audiobook, but the vampire lore is kinda hard to keep up with a times. Moroi and Strigoi sound too much alike, and saying them both reminds me of the song "Substitutiary Locomotion" LOL. I hope I don't need to keep track of every detail, because I forget a lot. I get that one is the good guy and one is the bad guy.

    As for Ms. Karp, I have a feeling she wasn't so crazy after all, but we'll just have to wait and see ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments are appreciated. I read and love every single one! Also, this is an Award-Free Zone! Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog! :)
....

NOTE: Because of all the spam I've been getting lately, I've had to change some settings on my comments. Anonymous Users can no longer post comments. So sorry for the inconvenience!

Happy Reading

-Kelly