Review: The One by Kiera Cass


ABOUT THE BOOK


The One

by Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection, #3

The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown—or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose—and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants.


And there we were, in the background of it all, holding on to one another. The Perfectionist, the Sweetheart, the Diva . . . and me.

I had forgotten just how much I love this series! Oh my gosh, can I just say I am so glad I picked this up on a whim at the bookstore last weekend!? Seriously. I was browsing the YA section, looked over, and there it was. And I thought, hey.. it's been ages since I read The Elite.. I should really read this soon. So I bought it. I decided that since Valentine's Day was coming up, I should read something with a little (or a lot) of romance in it so I picked it up and started reading.

I loved him. I couldn't pinpoint what made me so certain, but I knew it then as surely as I knew my name or the color of the sky or any fact written in a book.

If you've read any of my other Selection reviews, you know about my love of Maxon. He's been my favorite from the very first book. He just has a kindness about him that I really adore. I've rooted for him from the beginning, even as America pined away for Aspen, and did stupid things that could have gotten her kicked out of the Selection or lost Maxon forever. I still rooted for her to win his heart. But I'm not going to tell you if she actually does or not. If you want to know, you'll just have to read it too.

With the Selection having been narrowed down the the last four girls--America, Kriss, Elise, and Celeste--the stakes are even higher. Tensions are running rampant between the four girls who are all vying for Maxon's heart and attention. Plus there's all the political agendas with the King, and the different rebel factions. The country is on the brink of a war, and of course, America has to put herself into the middle of it, even if that includes putting herself in danger. She always tries to do what's right and fair. That's one of the traits that I really love about her. Even if she's a bit wild and sporadic, she still does what she feels is right in that moment.

There are some really tense moments, and a few sad ones as well. I actually nearly had a heart attack at the end. If you've read this, you probably know exactly what I'm talking about, and if you haven't, if you do decide to read this, you'll eventually know which scene caused it. I couldn't imagine what would have happened if the story had actually taken that direction, and I was so relieved that it didn't!

Anyways, you really need to read this. It's a quick read, and it moves fast, but it's super adorable and it will have you completely falling in love with Maxon and make you wish you could too have your own prince.

RATING 


Comments