Review: Kiss the Sky by Krista & Becca Ritchie




ABOUT THE BOOK

Kiss the Sky

Calloway Sisters, #1
by Krista & Becca Ritchie

Virgin. Sex addict. Daredevil. Alcoholic. Smartass … Jackass. Her five friends are about to be filmed. Reality TV, be prepared.

Rose Calloway thought she had everything under control. At twenty-three, she’s a Princeton graduate, an Academic Bowl champion, a fashion designer and the daughter of a Fortune 500 mogul. But with a sex addict as a sister and roommate, nothing comes easy.

After accepting help from a producer, Rose agrees to have her life filmed for a reality television show. The Hollywood exec is her last chance to revive her struggling fashion line, and boundaries begin to blur as she’s forced to make nice with a man who always has his way.

Twenty-four-year-old Connor Cobalt is a guy who bulldozes weak men. He’s confident, smart-as-hell and lives with his equally ambitious girlfriend, Rose Calloway. Connor has to find a way to protect Rose without ruining the show. Or else the producer will get what Connor has always wanted—Rose’s virginity.

This New Adult Romance can be described as Friends meets The Real World. Expect fist fights, drugs, sex of varying degrees, crude humor and competitive alpha males. Definitely for mature readers audiences only.

MY THOUGHTS

"Kiss the sky with me and don't ever come down."

 I have been such a fan of Krista & Becca Ritchie ever since I First reviewed Addicted to You. Their words always flow so eloquently and easily, and I could only dream of being able to write in that way. The story of Lily and Lo pulled me in immediately, but I always wanted to be inside the heads of the rest of their group as well. And Rose has been a favorite of mine from the beginning. Her courage, strength and ambition is something I desire for myself and look up to. It's kind of ironic that these traits don't follow her into the bedroom, where she is shy and hesitant and terrified that Connor will leave her after she sleeps with him, so she always keeps him at arms length. If only she could've seen inside his head!!!

I honestly really love the relationship dynamic between Rose and Connor. I love how competitive they are with each other and I love their banter, but what I love most is their complete and total belief in each other and their abilities. I love how they lift each other up and never once try to bring the other down. Even in the middle of arguments. I especially enjoyed watching Rose's guard slowly fall, letting Connor in bit by bit. How they were just so in sync in everything that they did. And their chemistry was SO electric. I could feel it burning through the pages.

I did not, however, love the introduction of Scott Van Wright. He was a complete waste of space. I'm sure there are vile, evil human beings in the entertainment industry just like him, but I absolutely hated every scene he was ever in. Especially after what happened at the end. I think his character is mostly why it took me so long to read this book, because I simply couldn't justify his character being in the story in my mind. Obviously they needed a producer for the reality show, but did he have to be such a despicable character? The part that irritated me the most, in the beginning at least, was the whole love triangle aspect that was brought in, which I don't normally object to, however, after having read about these characters for two books and a novella, it just didn't seem right to introduce one. I didn't want to DNF this story though, considering it's kind of crucial to the plot and character development of everyone in the story, and if I wanted to continue with the other books, I would have to finish this one. And so I powered through it. Which in all honesty wasn't as difficult as I thought it was going to be.

I'm so happy that I didn't give up on Kiss the Sky because once I got past all the Scott Van Wright nonsense, I was able to truly enjoy the story line and relationship development of not just Rose and Connor, but everyone else too. And that wasn't something I could have just skipped over. I cannot wait to continue on with this series because it's such a powerful story. Even though the characters have their moments of being a complete mess, even though they have these insane flaws to them, they ahve strength and they persevere through whatever comes their way. Not only do their flaws make these characters realistic, but their strength in their struggles inspire you, and that ultimately is what matters most.

"It's not as earth-shattering as I once believed it would be. Sometimes the dreams you construct for yourself at ten, twelve-years old aren't the same ones you thought they would be at twenty-four. And it just takes a while to finally make peace with that. I think I just have."

RATING



Comments