Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Onyx
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux, #2
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

I really have no idea how to even begin this review except to say how amazing it is! Why haven't I read this before now??? I've had it on my Kindle for so long and after reading it, I can't believe I waited so long.

Onyx picks up right where Obsidian left off. Katy is trying to live a normal life after having been healed by Daemon, but because he did, she's lighting up brighter than a Christmas tree. Then suddenly she's sick--so sick in fact that she walks right into a lake in the middle of November in freezing cold temperatures thanks to delirium from fever. If Daemon hadn't been there to save her, she would've been dead. But after her sickness is over and she's feeling fine, other things start happening and she realizes that she and Daemon are irrevocably linked and unfortunately there's been a huge wave of DOD officers coming into town thanks to the Arum attack. Not to mention their a really cute new guy named Blake who just moved to town who seems to only have eyes for Katy.

I feel like I can't possible do this book justice with this review because of how awesome it is and because so much happens that pretty much anything I say about it will be a spoiler! I guess I will just gush about Daemon and Katy for a little bit. They are just too cute. And Daemon's complete turn-around had me swooning. He was still sarcastic and they still had their bantering but he was also sweet and kind and I'm not ashamed that I wanted to be Katy. I for one would not have pushed him away. Not with all of those feelings rushing through me. It would have been impossible; I honestly don't see how she kept it up for so long. *sigh*

Blake's sudden appearance had me worried, I'm not going to lie. There was a part of me who wanted to root for him because he was kind to Katy and was helping her with what she was going through but the fact that he knew so much about it all bothered me. But Katy trusted him with open arms and I tried to have faith in her decision to.

I really can't wait to continue on with this series and find out what happens next. Especially since Onyx left off on a bit of a cliffhanger.


I rate this book:

The Lux Series


Novellas


Spoiler Time

Quotes:

Oh, you know, just alien residue that rubs off on humans and lights them up like a Christmas tree and becomes a homing signal to an evil alien race. What some?

"Resistance is futile, Kitten."
"So is your charm."
"We'll see."

"I'll get changed."
Surprise widened his eyes as he stepped back. "Caving in so easily?"
"Caving in?" I laughed without feeling. "I just want you out of my face."
Daemon chuckled deeply. "Keep telling yourself that, Kitten."
"Keep using your ego steroids."

"This isn't a game."
"I know, but if it were, I'd win."

"That's the funny thing about trying to escape. You never really can. Maybe temporarily, but not completely."

"Jesus. You have anger management problems. It's like a disease."
"There's a cure and it's called kicking your ass."

"You always blush when you lie."
"I don't know why people keep saying that. My cheeks are not a human lie detector."

"You're a dog."
"If you pet me, I'll--"
"Don't even finish that sentence."

"Could you give me a warning next time?"
"And miss that look on your face? Never."


Comments