Review: The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa


The Eternity Cure

Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden, #2
Blurb: Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.





Review

Wow. Just wow. What. An. Ending. How could Julie leave us with that ending knowing we have to wait soooooooooo long before finding out what happens???? BAH! My heart cannot handle this!


Short Summary:

Allison Sekemoto hasn't been a vampire for long, but she's already been through a lot since then. This biggest thing so far is falling for a human, which is going against her sire Kanin's vampire rule #1: don't get attached to humans. After leaving the human boy Zeke and the others in the safe, vampire-free city Eden, Allie finds herself on a journey to find and save her sire from the evil, psycho vamp Sarren, finding herself teaming up with those she never dreamed having an alliance with, and running across some surprising people. It's a race against time for Allie to save those that she holds closest to her heart.


What I liked:

I always love entering into the worlds that Julie Kagawa creates and The Eternity Cure is no exception. After reading The Immortal Rules I discovered yet another vampire story that I absolutely love, on this one is far better. Sparkly vampires? No way. The different types of vampires in this story are anything but nice. There are so many different kinds of creatures in this story: your regular, run-of-the-mill vampires; rabids, which are pretty much like vampire zombies; humans that are sick with the Red Lung virus (which are kind of like zombies except they can talk-but they sound like lunatics and they try to kill you with whatever they have in their hand); and we have cannibals, who will eat you so they won't starve to death. Oh, and the normal people who are just trying to survive among all of that. I really enjoyed learning more about what happened in the past, how and where the Rabidism began, and just what part Kanin played into it. As with most of Julie's books, this one is centered around a journey: a search for the cure of Rabidism and the new kind of Red Lung virus that is now threatening to take out both humans and vampires alike, only this time it ends in death. I can't go into to much detail without giving away a huge chunk of the story but I will say that I actually came to enjoy Jackal's crazy wit and sarcasm. He actually reminds me a lot of Damon Salvatore from The Vampire Diaries (at least the tv version). He mostly does things for his own gain, but he's incredibly sarcastic and it was very appealing, giving us some humor among all sadness. An example, you ask?

"Now, are we going to head into the city, or were you planning to hold hands with these cannibals and have a sing-along?"

Allie's relationship with Zeke is just adorable. Even though he is a human, she can't keep away from him and he's actually turned into the quite the badass. He can take down vampires and fight right along side them without being much of a liability, unless it comes to Allie's heart. As far as the whole sire thing goes, I'm still a little confused about one thing: Is is frowned upon if a sire and the vampire they created got together? Because I feel a little more than "fatherly love" coming from Kanin at times. I mean, the vampires they create are called their children, and their children call each other siblings and their sire father/mother. But I've been getting the impression that Kanin has a thing for Allie. And even though I really love Zeke and Allie together, I don't think I would be too disappointed if she ended up with Kanin. It would make sense as far as them both being immortal vampires and all. And they clearly care for each other.


What I didn't like:

Surprisingly, there were a few things that I really didn't like. It felt to me like they had far to many unnecessary complications on their journey. I mean, I understand that society is in shambles and people and rabids and now the people who are sick with the new kind of Red Lung virus are attacking every one and/or trying to survive but a lot of the time I felt like things were just unnecessary. I won't go into details though because it will spoil a lot of the story for you if you haven't read it but once they reach New Covington it seems like everyone and everything is just out to get them. And I didn't understand why some of it happened the way it did. And there's one thing that didn't really make much sense to me and it's the thing that happens to cause the big traumatic scene at the end. I just feel like it didn't go along with the character at all to just go off like that. He's far too intelligent in my mind.


Conclusion:

Once again, Julie Kagawa has created an amazing story, with characters we love, characters we hate, and characters that we love to hate who are on an epic journey, this time to save the world for both humans and vampires alike. I'm really not sure how things are going to end for Allison Sekemoto but I'm hoping that she saves the world and keeps her humanity as she does it. 


I rate this book:

The Blood of Eden Series


My review of The Immortal Rules
My review of The Forever Song

Comments